GUELPH — After confusion arose earlier on Thursday around the removal of a proposal from the May 6 council agenda to ban single-use plastics, Mayor Cam Guthrie explained that the plan is still moving forward but under the Solid Waste Master Plan.

Less than a week after touting a proposed ban on single-use plastics during an environment-focused town hall, Guthrie removed consideration of the proposal from the May 6 committee-of-the-whole agenda, a former delegate found out.

Plastic Free Guelph head Shayne Douglas-Ward planned to delegate to the meeting on the item, formally called “Reducing Plastics and Waste”, but was told by the city clerk’s office that it was removed from the Consolidated Committee-of-the-Whole agenda by Guthrie, though no reason was given.

Guthrie said he was “still proposing to discuss it in a revised way under the Solid Waste Master Plan for referral. This was a cleaner way of doing it”, adding that the “issue is not gone.”

Councillor James Gordon told The Guelph Post that the move “in no way reflects a lack of interest on the mayor’s part in the issue and that I have confidence that a plastics motion will return…bigger and better.”

The Guelph Post has reached out to Shayne Douglas Ward, who first posted the news, and the rest of council as well as Guthrie.


Image of City Hall by Eli Ridder.