Though there was some initial backlash to a proposed 11 cent increase in electrical bills last week, it was clarified by an elected official that the rate hike is following the “status quo” and is potentially a smaller increase than if Guelph Hydro and Alectra did not merge.
This was communicated by Coun. Christine Billings responding to a concerned constituent in a series of emails over the course of Saturday and Sunday that were shared with The Post.
An Ontario Energy Board, or OEB, notice went out to several residents last week and frustrated homeowners posted the notices on Facebook.
Many were quick to blame the merger between the late Guelph Hydro and the Alectra energy company, a move Council said would cut back on the regular rate increases when it was approved.
There was a rate increase in 2015 that saw, on average, residents paying $3.47 or 1.3 per cent more on the total of electricity bills. There was also an increase in 2013.
The OEB said the new proposed increase is is significantly lower than the other zones.
More details to follow.