Guelph Police Const. Corey McArthur arrived at the Stone Road Holiday Inn on Wednesday morning for a professional disciplinary hearing over a count of discreditable conduct — but he will return in August to answer the charge.

The charge stems from an incident at the local hospital in 2016 when he assaulted a teenager handcuffed to a bed.

Last year, he pleaded guilty to spectate criminal charge of assault and received a conditional discharge.

The Guelph Mercury reported that it was a short hearing.

The prosecutor provided the defence with data on a USB drive and the next hearing was set for 10 a.m. on Aug. 8, when McArthur will decide whether or not to plead guilty to discreditable conduct.

A local legal expert told The Post that if McArthur is found guilty of the second charge it’s unclear exactly what the consequences will be as there are several options.

There could be a few different results including being fired completely from the force.

What happened?

Const. Corey McArthur was called to help out other officers with a 17-year-old boy who was cuffed on a hospital bed in a safe room after being arrested under the Mental Health Act.

When the officer was forcibly holding down the teenager to the bed, the boy kneed the officer in the abdomen area.

McArthur responded by striking the teenager with his elbow, saying he hit the youth in the face, neck and torso.

After the boy ended up with a cut under his right eye, hospital staff reported that there potentially could have been excessive force employed by the officer.

He was put on leave about a month later by his family doctor and diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. He has not been on the force since and receives money via WSIB benefits.

McArthur has a history.

He worked for 10 days without pay nearly a decade ago after being convicted of assault over his response to a bar disturbance downtown in 2008.

The officer was charged with assault causing bodily harm in 2012 after a complaint. It was later dropped due to lack of evidence in 2014.

Several Guelph residents have called for him to be permanently removed from the Guelph Police Service due to what appears to them as a pattern of incidents.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here